Monday, March 14, 2011

Blocking Body Lines

Blocking a car straight is the main course and desert as far as being the body man in a restoration shop is concerned. If that's the case, then that means giving it crisp body lines that pop is the whip cream and cherry on top. Although this technique isn't used on all body lines, for the ones it is used on it makes a noticeable difference that's nearly impossible to be unsatisfied with, unless you're just an old stubborn goat. :)

Anytime I guide coat anything I want my guide coat to be nice and even. If it's not even I may sand more or less in those areas with unequal distribution of guide coat. When dealing with body lines and doing the "tape trick" you want to use a flat black lacquer. The cheaper the better. The reason I say flat black and lacquer is cause they contribute less to clogging your paper.The powder 3M stuff is great but does not give you a definitive read on your bodyline and how straight your line is. For this very reason I spray it a tad heavier on the body line.

Photobucket

The best tape for this job in my opinion is a 3/4". Not too thin or too thick. Don't try this with cheap tape that feels plasticky or you will never get it straight! Spend some time sighting down it with one eye to ensure it's straight and of course off to one side of the body line. Once you have it lined up press down hard on the tape so it can sustain a little abuse from the block. You then block that section. In this picture I did the top of the fender and then did the curve to the body line as one plane and up to the tape line as well.

Photobucket

You then clean off the dust and remove the tape and apply new tape on the opposite side of the body line. When you're done with all your blocking you then block the tiny remainder that is dead on the body line. Since this point of contact is very small I make sure I use a soft block and block very softly over it, using my palm and NOT my fingers as the pic suggests.

Photobucket

The great thing about this technique is that it can be used
for filler applications as well as primer.
It can be used to just sharpen up the look or it can be
crucial in getting a good body line back.

No comments:

Post a Comment